VNC CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I – Name
This organization shall be known as the Vancouver Newcomers Club.
ARTICLE II – Purpose
The purpose of this organization is to welcome women, new to the Vancouver area, and help them make friends.
ARTICLE III – Qualifications of Members
Section 1: To be eligible for active membership, a woman must have paid dues for the current year and have resided in Vancouver for no more than four years prior to her application for membership.*
(The area of residence is restricted to Vancouver or a neighbouring community without a Newcomers Club)
Section 2: Membership in the Vancouver Newcomers Club is calculated from July 1 to June 30. Membership shall be for a period of up to four years. Members may move to Vancouver Newcomers Alumnae Club at the end of June after three years from their July 1 anniversary date, if desired. Furthermore, after completing three years of membership in Vancouver Newcomers Club, it is permitted to be members of both clubs, in the final year of membership in Vancouver Newcomers Club, as long as dues are paid to both clubs.
Section 3: As of June 1, 2019 dues shall be $50.00, payable July 1 each year. New members, joining by December 31, will pay full membership dues and new members, joining after December 31, will pay half membership dues. Dues are not refundable.
Section 4: A newcomer guest may attend two general meetings or two activities before joining.
Section 5: Any member may be expelled from membership for any cause, which the executive may deem reasonable.
Section 6: The membership list must not be used for the purpose of soliciting or selling. If a member abuses this By-law, it will result in automatic dismissal from the Club. The membership list will include a reminder of this ruling.
Section 7: Members have the right to withhold any personal information from the membership list they deem fit.
* Any extenuating circumstances may be brought before the executive.
ARTICLE IV – Meetings
Section 1: Regular meetings of the Club will be held once a month, on a date set by the Executive.
Section 2: Meetings of the Executive shall be on the call of the President.
Section 3: After the election of a new executive, both the outgoing and incoming executive officers shall attend a joint executive meeting, at which time all records and files, in the possession of the outgoing executive members, shall be turned over to the new executive members.
Section 4: Business may be transacted by a majority of the active members present at any regular meeting.
ARTICLE V – Executive Officers
The executive officers of the Club are: Chair, up to 2 Vice-Chairs, Secretary, Membership, Treasurer, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Activities Co-ordinator. (This list is a general guideline. Other positions may be added as needed, and some may be eliminated, depending on the circumstances).
Duties of Elected Officers of the Club generally shall include, but not be limited to:
- Chairs monthly meetings.
- Organize meeting activities/speakers, book the room, obtain gifts, etc., or delegate these tasks.
- Calls and chairs executive meetings.
- Oversees general workings of the Club.
- Act as liaison with the Vancouver Newcomers Alumnae.
- Co-signs cheques.
- Assigns responsibility for maintaining the Operations Manual.
- Assists the Chair and assumes the Chair’s duties when necessary.
- Co-ordinates all Special Events approved by the Executive.
- Chairs and forms the nominating committee.
- Maintains electronic files of the Club.
- Co-signs cheques.
- Records executive-meeting minutes in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order and distributes to the Executive for approval.
- Keeps Minutes Books in order and brings to Executive meetings.
- Signs up new members and remits any fees received to the Treasurer.
- Sends list of new members and guests to Executive after monthly meeting.
- Sends welcome email to guests and club info and welcome to new members.
- Maintains member info, email groups, and manages name badges for monthly meetings.
- Maintains membership spreadsheet and sends updated list to membership each month.
- Sends current newsletter to the month’s meeting guests.
- Sends fee reminders to members for the next year’s dues and updates fee spreadsheet as fees received.
- Is custodian of Club funds, managing the disbursements and deposit of funds and the record keeping of funds.
- In co-operation with President and Executive team, prepares annual budget.
- Maintains a spreadsheet of planned expenses, actual expenses, and income.
- Presents written financial report at monthly meeting.
- Has co-signing authority with the Chair or Vice-Chair(s).
- Prepares financial statement for audit by Club non-executive member or Club friend before handover to new Executive.
- Collects info on a monthly basis for the newsletter.
- Prepares and distributes monthly newsletter.
- Promotes Vancouver Newcomers Club, takes care of any ads in publications, and updates affiliated websites when required.
- Maintains Domain name/hosting to ensure good standing.
- Maintains the website.
- Ensures that members are informed about VNC Activities.
- Keeps VNC calendar up to date.
- Informs membership of events around the city.
- Liaises with Activity conveners.
- Liaises with Newsletter.
ARTICLE VI – Elections
Section 1: Officers shall be elected at the June Annual General Meeting for a 12-month, 1-year term. They shall assume office from July 1st to June 30th. An Officer may extend service on the Board to a maximum of 2 years in the same position.
Section 2: The Vice-Chair(s), as the Nominating Chair(s) (per, Article 5), no later than the April Executive meeting, shall appoint a committee to include the Nominating Committee Chair(s), a member of the current Executive, and a representative from the membership at large.
Section 3: The Nominating Committee shall present a slate, consisting of one candidate for each open office, at the June general meeting. Additional candidates may be nominated from the floor with the expressed approval of the nominee. The members then cast a ballot for the open officer positions.
Section 4: Only a paid-up member may cast a ballot.
Section 5: A majority of those members present and voting shall be sufficient to elect officers at the June meeting.
Section 6: Voting shall be by secret ballot if there is more than one nominee for any office. However, if the nominees agree, they may share the position and its duties.
Section 7: Vacancies in elected offices shall be filled for the remainder of the term by appointment by the Executive.
Section 8: The outgoing Chair automatically becomes Past Chair and may attend executive meetings in an advisory capacity. The Past Chair has no voting rights at an executive meeting.
ARTICLE VII – Activities
Section 1: Members, who are interested, may form an activity group upon application to the President and by approval of the Executive.
Section 2: Each activity group shall be in keeping with the objectives of the club and shall establish guidelines that do not conflict with the By-laws of the Club.
Section 3: Each group shall have a convener and shall be self-supporting.
Revised May 29, 2019.